Thursday, June 17, 2010

That's not a beard! This is a beard!

Every summer I stop shaving for a few weeks. This happens against my wife's wishes, and honestly against any good judgment. I think it makes me feel tough to have a beard. Usually after a couple weeks I look in the mirror, see my patchy face, and shave.

I was at church this week when one of my youth, Alexia, walked up to me and saw my unshaved face and my newly shaved head.

"So, what are you doing with this..."

She never finished her sentence. She just walked off.

 I stopped her later saying, "You never finished your sentence earlier."

"Well," she replied, "There is no adjective to describe your shaved head or your whiskers."

After laughing a bit I realized she couldn't bring herself to call my unshaven face a beard.  Ouch.

I'm sure I'll grow my hair out and shave soon, but until then I'm avoiding mirrors.  And maybe Alexia.

No comments: