Monday, September 8, 2008

My Clem"p"son blog (written and sent with love)

In order to understand my experience in Anderson you need to know that I am an avid USC fan. USC means the University of South Carolina. A few years ago when Southern California was paying its players and playing one of the easiest schedules in the nation they hijacked the name USC. “The USC” (aka South Carolina) has been around longer, used the name USC longer, and has a 1-0 against Southern California. If they want the name so bad, they should come to Columbia and earn it. I digress; let me get back to Anderson. The rival of USC (not So. Cal) is Clemson. I am a huge USC fan so I hate Clemson. Not to mention that all of members of Heather’s family are Clemson fans and they talk about it constantly. They very rarely bash my team, but they talk about Clemson. My mother-in-law even sat and talked positively about my team , a favor which I was unable to return. The worst thing was that Clemson was ranked #9 in the nation and they had been placed in the premiere spot on College football TV schedule. While I was watching my first week of football I had to endue four hours of broadcaster talking about how great Clemson was. I had to see commercials about Clemson during games they weren’t playing in. The hype was ridiculously high. Sports broadcasters even had the moronic guts to talk about Clemson’s sights on the national championship. I got to see a sky diver fly in to Atlanta with a Clemson mascot head for Lee Corso to put on as he predicted Clemson to beat Alabama. I got so aggravated with the hype and Heather’s family liking the hype (keep in mind they did nothing wrong, I’m just an deranged fan) that I stopped watching football and left the house for a break. Unfortunately Anderson is very close to Clemson and it is about 99.9% Clemson fans. The whole town is orange (Clemson’s main color). The cashiers at Chick-fila wear orange. Wal-Mart has a huge Clemson section. I had to stop my car and smash my head on a tree until it bled just so I could see a different color. I headed back to my Mother-in-laws house and watched football for the rest of the afternoon. I was highly aggravated by the time the Clemson Alabama game started, but very quickly Clemson was outmatched, outplayed, outscored, and outclassed by Alabama. Alabama crushed them. I went to bed that night with a big fat smile on my face. I am glad about all the hype. It was worth it. When you lift up a team so high it only gives them farther to fall. They were royally embarrassed. They dropped from #9 in the nation to out of the top 25, and they are on the cover of Sport Illustrated Magazine, hee hee hee!

No comments: