Saturday, October 30, 2010

Youth Ministry Stories #7 (Joey vs Mickey Trexler)

The Nature Boy, Rick Flair.
Mickey is the up top in the right, wearing
sunglasses in a blue jacket.
My first summer as a full-time head youth director was in 1995.  I was working at First Baptist Church in North Myrtle Beach, SC.  We took about 20 students to Summersalt (a summer youth bible camp).  The boys were staying in two hotel room which were side to side and connected by an adjoining door.


Mickey Trexler was one of the middle school boys who were on the trip.  Mickey was standing in the opening of the adjoining door with his shirt off, flexing.  All of us in both rooms were begging him to cut it out.  After a long time of pleading with him to put his shirt, on some of the middle school boys were getting really mad and tempers were on the rise.  I realized I needed to put an end to what would end up as a fight.  I walked over and stood beside the shirtless and flexing Mickey.
"Hey everybody," I yelled.  "Wanna see my Rick Flair impression?"
Chuckles and "Yeah" from the boys.
"WOOO!" I shouted loudly, and then immediately backhanded Mickey in the chest hard enough to leave a red hand print on his chest, one that was discernible 5 days later.


Was it stupid...yes.
Was it mean...yes.
Was it an inappropriate way to handle it...yes.
Would I ever do it again...no.

Was it funny...ABSOLUTELY!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahahahaha I love it wooooooo Me and Mick used to wrestle aka rassel a lot when we were younger. I broke his wrist "Goldberging" him one time. Great story Joey hahahaha

Unknown said...

Aww! Poor mickey! I love it though. All the wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing joey. Love and miss you and heather greatly!