Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween and Home Made Costumes

My sons dressed as Jedi's for Halloween.  They asked that Heather dress as Princess Leia and I dress as Darth Vader.  We are not a family to drop lots of cash on a costume, so Heather made me a homemade costume.  It was a black long sleeve tee with a print out of the Vader's computerized chest, Crayon boxes with printed out designs as his belt (which fit on my own belt) and a black curtain pinned to my shoulders.   The costume looked great, but some old self esteem stuff came to the surface.  I was really worried as she planned the costume that I would look stupid.  I reiterate, it looked really good.  I did look like Fat Vader instead of Darth Vader, but that was not the costume's fault.


The stress over the homemade costume brought back a memory from my childhood.  I remember wanting to be Frankenstein for Halloween.  I began to create the costume by using two cardboard boxes.  One for my head and one for my body.  Before school, I designed the boxes with scars, scary eyes, and a angry mouth.  When I got home that afternoon Mom had altered the head.  In the few hours I was at school my Frankenstein had become a bit less angry.  He had bright round eyes and a big smile.  I tried to convert my Frankenstein into a robot, but in the end I gave up and wore some of my Dad's old Army stuff.

Sorry, Mom.  I'm sure it looked wonderful.  I was (am) a jerk sometimes.

No comments: