Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Daniel Hughes Testimony


Daniel is a 6th grade student at CCSM (Christ Church Student Ministry).  He shared this testimony publically during the May 2010 confirmation.  This testimony was also in the May edition of the church newsletter

When I was a kid I felt like I was forced to follow Jesus. The school I went to forced me to do the stuff that Christians were supposed to do. I learned a lot from it, but it did not bring me closer to God. Also, my parents were very strict on me when it came to doing that was right.

Now I follow him because I choose to. My relationship with God took a jump when I got to high school, then even closer during the confirmation retreat at the Cobb’s farm. In elementary school we were taught to read the Bible and pray. We did lots of Bible drills and lots of memory verses. This helped me, but did not bring me closer to God. Recently, I learned what all of it means. We talked about the Bible and discussed moral issues. It all makes sense to me now. At the confirmation retreat I learned about the power of the Holy Spirit and I learned that the Holy Spirit is equal to God and Christ. During the  confirmation retreat we had a bonfire, and it meant a lot to me. Before the retreat I was scared to talk about God. Now I am more comfortable. Before I thought of God as being distant and as a king, but now I think of him as a friend (I still think of Him as a king but it’s more personal and like a friendship). I used to think of God as a chore, now I think of Him as a friend. My life is different than before although it still looks the same. My actions are the same, my heart is different. My prayers used to be ATM prayers, but now my prayers are hang out time with God. My Bible reading used to be like a text book, but now it is something I look forward to. Church used to be school with God, but now it is fellowship with God

2 comments:

Joey said...

Great Job Daniel

Unknown said...

Hey Daniel! It is great to hear this awesome news! Thanks for your honesty! Many grown ups never "get" what being a Christian really is...as you said, a relationship, fellowship...not just Bible reading and memory, following the rules....