Wednesday, May 19, 2010

7 Common Mission trip Questions

This year's high school mission trip will be to Jacksonville, Florida on July 18th-24th. I am excited about the monumental things God has in store for you on this trip. This is going to be a great week!

7 Common Mission Trip Questions

1. What are the requirements to go on this year's mission trip?
  • Students must have completed the 8th grade. The graduated class of 2010 are also invited to attend.
  • Read the entire book of Acts (30 chapters) and write about each chapter in a journal book that will be provided by CCSM. You can pick up your journal booklet from the 4th floor.
  • You will need to have a non-refundable deposit of $50 turned in by June 13th.
  • All money is due by July 11th.

2. How much does the mission trip cost?
The cost will be $75 total, and you are allowed to bring some spending money.

3. What time will we be leaving on July 18th?
We will head out following the 10:30 worship service. The Mission Team will be expected to attend the 10:30 worship service, which will include a commissioning service. We will arrive in Jacksonville around 4pm on July 24th.

4. Where are we staying?
We will be camping out at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park (500 Wonderwood Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32233). You need to make sure you are bringing a tent or plan to share the tent of another (same gender) missionary. The church has a couple tents if you need to borrow one. Please let me know as soon as you know who is in your tent. If you need to be assigned to a tent, please let me know so I can make plans for you.

5. What will we be doing on the trip?
We will be working with a handful of ministries in Jacksonville. All the details are not in place yet, but these are some of the organizations I am using to put together our schedule.
  • Christ the Living Cornerstone Church
  • City Rescue Mission
  • Sulzbacher Center (Gives assistance to homeless families)
  • St. Mary's Episcopal Church Outreach
  • Habijax (Habitat for Humanity Jacksonville)
  • Salvation Army
6. Hey, you wanna’ hear this great song I have on my I-pod?
I love music as much as the next guy, and yes I’d love to hear the new song on your I-pod, just not during the mission trip. This is a low-tech trip there will be no MP3 players, personal CD players, DVD players, Smart phones, iPads, cellphones, or head phones of any type. There is no online time during the trip. If I see status updates, you are in trouble.

7. Did you just say no cell phones? That’s crazy!
Yes I did say that, and yes it is a bit crazy. We are going to have a week spending time with, and talking to, God, and not a week texting and talking to our boyfriend/girlfriend and other friends till 2:00 in the morning. If needed your parents call my phone to get in touch with you during the trip (912) 308-4811. All leaders cell phone numbers will be given to parents prior to the mission trip.

Do you have a question(s) that wasn’t answered?
Then call or e-mail me, and I would be glad to talk with you.
Cell: (912) 308-4811
Church: (912) 232-4131
E-mail: JPhillips@ChristChurchSavannah.org

No comments: